Gastric Plication might be the most popular and safest alternative in bariatric surgery to dispose excess body weight surgically. Otherwise called Gastric Imbrication or Laparoscopic Gastric Greater Curvature Plication, it is a prohibitive bariatric surgical method in which a specialist decreases stomach volume by collapsing the greater arch of the stomach, diminishing the stomach volume by 70%.
With the presentation of new methods, advancements and spearheading specialists, gastric placation is rapidly turning into a hit among fat patients who have neglected to get thinner through customary methods for weight reduction.
Utilizing the laparoscopic procedure, the specialist first makes five or six little entry points in the guts and after that embeds a camcorder (laparoscope) and long instruments through these little cuts to sew at least one substantial overlap in your stomach.
Taking after the surgery the stomach takes type of a “sleeve” or ‘long, thin tube’, like a gastric sleeve surgery, yet not at all like the gastric sleeve surgery cost, the stomach cutting, stapling or evacuation of the stomach is not required in gastric plication.
Likewise charged as less obtrusive methodology, the surgery doesn’t include re-steering digestive tract or embedding outside gadgets and takes roughly one to two hours to finish.
The gastric plication is conceivably reversible and can be changed over to another method if required.
Albeit gastric balloon cost is viewed as effective and successful in delivering generous weight reduction in large patients, individuals must also be aware of the recovery and risks as this procedure won’t guarantee 100% appropriateness for weight loss surgery.
Points of interest
- The surgery is often performed laparoscopically, which implies littler surgical cuts, shorter recuperation time, and diminished shot of dangers and intricacies.
- It is totally reversible. Sutures used to crease the stomach can be evacuated if important, and the first stomach limit can be reestablished.
- Taking after the surgery, the stomach’s sustenance retaining limit stays in place.
- The surgery doesn’t bring about a diminished or constrained ingestion of supplements by the small digestive tract.
- Gastric plication does not require evacuation of stomach, intestinal rerouting or implantation of any remote gadget no staples, no groups, no fills, no alterations.
- No loss of stomach tissue taking after the surgery.
- Patients can hope to lose between 40% – 70% of their abundance weight in the main year after surgery.
- The surgery may enhance or resolve a few weight related co-morbidities, including hypertension and diabetes.
- Similarly as with any laparoscopic methodology, there are dependably dangers of contamination, damage to encompassing organs and dying.
- Although rare, however, there is danger of a break from the suture line used to overlap the stomach.
- This type of weight reduction surgery presently can’t seem to be endorsed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Since the gastric plication is moderately new is still in its investigational ponders, insurance agencies don’t take care of the expenses of this strategy, consequently patients are required to self-back for the surgery.
- There is very little information and data accessible about the long haul difficulties and achievement rates of gastric sleeve.
Possible side-effects of weight loss surgery are dependant on the type of procedure (gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, lap band procedure, gastric plication) and each case in particular because each patient reacts differently to surgery.
- Dumping syndrome
- Dairy intolerance
- Hair loss
- Low mood or depression
- Complications can be early or late depending on whey do they occur and include:
- Deficiencies: iron, calcium, magnesium, B12, etc.
- Abdominal pain
- Pulmonary embolism
- Gastrointestinal leaks
There is no 100% guarantee to avoid these risks and complications, but certain eating and exercise behaviors can reduce the chance for them to occur. Bariatric specialists at the Los Angeles weight loss center recommend the following guidelines for quick and safe recovery and low complication risks:
No smoking. Not before, and especially not after weight loss surgery. If you are a heavy smoker, do everything in your power to give up smoking in the weeks before your weight loss surgery.
Start exercising healthy eating habits even before surgery to reduce the post-operative shock caused by the dramatic change of lifestyle, but to also increase your chances for a successful bariatric surgery.
Take short, slow walks in the first few days following surgery, as this will help avoid blood clots and will ensure optimal lung function.
Exercise. Wherever, whenever. You can only win from having a strong heart and strong lungs and their strengthening is among the many health benefits of regular exercise. Do not forget to ask for your surgeon’s recommendation though, as inadequate exercise can do you more harm than benefit.
Learn from and together with others and join support groups for emotional and motivational help, also for up-to-date information on dieting and exercising guidelines.